1. Who are some key players on the team this year?
Nyasia Young, PG
Birgitta Taylor-Lillquist, PF/C
Brianna Worthy, PG
2. What should we expect this season? Will this be a good season?
Expect a lot of fast break, transition basketball. We intend to use our speed and size to pull us through the duration of the season.
It is going to be a good season because, I am more prepared than I was last year in my first season. I have done my homework, studied, and learned a lot during the offseason. The result is that the team is better, because I am better.
3. How long have you been a coach here at MHS? Are you a graduate from MHS?
Freshmen Head and Assistant under then, Bianca Brown (2012-2015). This is my second season as Head Coach. I graduated in 2007, playing from 2003-2007 under Coach Jerry Citro.
4. I know there was a scrimmage yesterday, how did that go? Are there any things that you know of right now that the team can improve on?
We played at Immaculate Heart Academy (IHA). We held them to under 20 points per quarter. This is an achievement considering they score 20+ in qtrs last season. Despite our lack of offensive, we didn’t give up, we stuck together, and they listened! I am not worried about the mistakes (yet). This was a first great test to see who we are and who can become.
Endurance/Stamina, taking ball pressure, communicating on defense.
5. Have you coached anywhere besides MHS?
Girl Scouts of Northern NJ, Montclair PAL, NJ Knights AAU, Young World Ballers AAU (Boy’s), Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy, John Jay College of Criminal Justice (Division 3, NCAA)
6. What are some goals for the program?
Have a .500+ season
Be top 4 in our (new) division
Do not lose at home/defend home court
Play together, Stay together
7. How has the program grown since you’ve been coaching?
Hard to say in only my second season. However, from this season to last, the girls are witnesses to my organization and growth. Again, if I am better, they are better.
Interviewed by: Milani Davis, Montclair High School Junior. Cheerleader and Softball player